Kingussie Parish Church Scottish Charity No. SC021546
Linked with Laggan & Newtonmore
Stretching out before us
Is a narrow twisty road with a valley on one side and the Monadhliath mountains on the other, leading to among other places the village of Laggan. Entering Laggan on our left hand side is Laggan Parish Church, built in 1785 the interior was rebuilt in 1800’s. United with Newtonmore Parish Church in 2018 it consequently shares in our linkage.
.Update 4 April 29th
Leaving Laggan we will pass Adverikie Estate sure to be recognised by many. The land historically belonged to the Clan Macpherson, but is now owned and managed by a private family company. It has of course been used as a film location with Monarch of the Glen, Miss Marple, Mrs Brown, Salmon Fishing on the Yemen and The Crown among others showing the beauty of the landscape and the baronial architecture of the Estate House.
Small villages along the River Spean confirm we are heading in the right direction, Roy Bridge, Inverroy, Tirindrish, to Spean Bridge onto Inverlochy and thereafter Fort William.
Worth a mention as we wend our way towards Fort William is Laggan Dam located on the River Spean. Built as part of the Lochaber hydroelectric scheme in 1934 it was designated a category B listed building in 1985 and upgraded category A listing in 2011.